Monday 6 August 2012

A rucksack in the making

The sewing bug has really got a hold on me at the moment, I have very sneakily bought my machine downstaris so I can sew in front of the patio doors, bliss.  My daughter had been eyeing this bag up for when she starts college in September priced at £32. from Top Shop.  For once a sensible bag.



 Being the lovely Mummy that I am I offered to make one like it.   to my surprise she  accepted the offer.  So we set off to our next largest town looking for something simple like Denim, not a tall order.  Of course we came back empty handed, so just when I was resigned to purchasing some on the net, my sons partner offered me a couple of  pairs of jeans (different weights) so I used mostly one pair, apart from the buckle strap.










Now I personally dont like the different shades, but DD does and thats all that matters.

Ive used a back pocket for one side and a front pocket for the other side the two main front and back pieces are made from  the lower leg sections, hence the colour difference.  The buckle was on the back above the pockets so I cut it off and added to the front bag flap. I had to remove the other back pocket, so I had enough fabric to make the straps.  

The gingham lining I have had for ages and I have added a casing for a drawsting cord to be inserted. I need to purchase some popper fasteners and a few other things, also I need to topstitch.  I hope it will be finished in the next few days.  


Image and video hosting by TinyPicOf course the bigger the jeans and wider the leg the more fabric you have to play with. I avoided the Knees and the frayed hems, One of the side panels, the front one is a little  stretched, but it will do.

2 comments:

  1. Looks super! I also have a daughter at Uni, who loves to window shop, and then puts in her requests to me for making...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, it looks great. I made a satchel once out of the Misters old army jacket and it was fun thinking of creative ways to use the pockets and such. I made it for the little guy, but the Misters loves it and claimed it for his own! You have a very creative eye.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for commenting, After all its whats blogging all about. Though I may not answerr all your comments I do appreciate and enjoy reading them all.
louise